Arshavin nominates Zhirkov to take over Gunners left-side role  

Tuesday 12 May 2009

Arsenal star Andrey Arshavin has revealed that he is still struggling to come to terms with being played on the left-hand side of midfield and stressed that he has no idea how he is maintaining his performances from such an unfamiliar position. The 27-year-old also feels that compatriot Yuri Zhirkov could fulfill the wide role for the Gunners but isn’t sure the CSKA Moscow man is ready to trade his homeland for the Premier League despite a reported offer from Chelsea.

Speaking this afternoon, Arshavin relayed, “My personal plan for my initial three months with Arsenal wasn't about scoring a certain number of goals or making a set number of assists.

“I wanted to get the feeling whether I can play in England or not. Sometimes I feel that I can but other times that I don't. It's probably because that I play as a left midfielder.

“I still can't get used to the idea that I'm capable of playing on the left of midfield - and frankly having to do it keeps me baffled.

“I don't understand if it's only because God is taking care of me, or I really can play so well as a left-winger.”

Responding to suggestions that 25-year-old international colleague Zhirkov could take over on the wing and thus allow Wenger to push him more centrally, Arshavin further responded:
“Yes, I know Yuri well,' he added. 'But problem is would he like to move to Arsenal?”

Followers

Design by www.typegoalz.com