Chamakh: Linked with Arsenal  

Saturday 23 May 2009


Arsene Wenger has revealed he is an admirer of Bordeuax forward Marouane Chamakh, but has refused to give any indication of how much money he will have to spend during the summer.

Wenger plans to strengthen his squad at the end of a disappointing campaign for Arsenal which has again failed to yield any silverware.

25-year-old forward Chamakh is a player who has previously expressed a desire to play in the Premier League at some stage in his career.

Wenger admits he has been impressed by the Moroccan's performances this season, with Bordeaux in pole position to take the Ligue 1 title.

However, the Gunners boss has played down suggestions that he has already made an approach for Chamakh.

"He is a very good player, but that doesn't mean I have contacted him," Wenger told L'Equipe.
Careful

It is understood that Wenger will have considerable funds at his disposal following the club's run to the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League.

Major shareholder Alisher Usmanov has also indicated he would be willing to meet some of Arsenal's long-term debt payments to help free up more cash for team building.

But Wenger, who last week insisted he was not the man to 'get the club bust', is expected to be careful with his spending during the transfer window.

"If I tell you I have £250m, every player I call will cost three times more," he explained.

"When I am manager of a club I do with what I have available and you have never heard me complain about the money that was available.

"But as well I do not accept people to think that I am stupid enough to have £100m at my disposal and put it in the bank because I am scared to spend it."

Wenger added: "Considering transfers and the money available, the less you talk the better it is. Let other people talk and you do what you want.

"I believe the more everybody shuts up inside the club and does not talk about anything and works hard is the best."

Followers

Design by www.typegoalz.com