Eduardo make successful debut in first match  

Tuesday 17 February 2009


Eduardo's dream return to the Arsenal first team after his horrific leg break has given manager Arsene Wenger new attacking options as he seeks to lift their Premier League campaign.

The Brazilian-born Croatia striker scored twice in Monday's 4-0 victory over Cardiff City in the FA Cup fourth round, marking his first match for the club in almost a year in style.

"It was the best day of my life because it proved I can play again," local media quoted Eduardo as saying.

"It was a special moment to score and very emotional. I had tears in my eyes. I celebrated by kissing my wedding ring because my wife, Andreja, daughter Lorena and family supported me right through it."

Wenger, whose side are fifth in the league, 12 points behind leaders Manchester United, said Eduardo's return gave him new possibilities as they try to close the gap in the league and progress in the Champions League and FA Cup.

"We'll know at the end of the season how important it (his comeback) is, but I'm very happy to have him back," said the Frenchman. "He can play as a striker, on the flank, behind the striker, up front on his own. That is important for us."

With striker Emmanuel Adebayor sidelined for the rest of this month with a hamstring injury, Eduardo's return is timely.

"We need players of his (Eduardo's) intelligence," said Wenger.

Followers

Design by www.typegoalz.com