Van Persie: Trophies will silence the critics  

Sunday 15 February 2009


Robin van Persie believes Arsenal have to win something this season to silence their critics. Arsene Wenger's side have come under fire after going almost four years without a trophy - their last success coming back in 2005 when they won the FA Cup.Arsenal are struggling to break into the top four in the Premier League and their best chance of success this season will be in the Champions League or FA Cup.

The north London club face a tricky FA Cup fourth round replay against Cardiff on Monday night with Wenger still missing several key players including Cesc Fabregas, Tomas Rosicky and Theo Walcott through injury.

But despite all the upheaval surrounding the team, Van Persie is convinced his side have enough quality to win a trophy this season and has sympathy with the fans' frustrations.

Van Persie said: "I am like them, I feel the same. I want it as badly as them and it can be frustrating when it doesn't happen. I'm a positive person and I think the fans should be too.

"I think it's time. The club has just gone too long without winning anything and we are doing everything we can to change it. When I joined, the team were winning things for fun and in my first year here we won the FA Cup and that was really special for me.

"If we could achieve it this year it would be an even bigger achievement, considering how unlucky we have been with injuries."

Followers

Design by www.typegoalz.com